The English language press is paying attention to the elections in El Salvador. Here's a sampling of some of what is being written.
- Reuters' article headline is El Salvador vote pits ex-rebel against gang-fighting rightist. The article is better than the headline.
- Former US Ambassador to El Salvador, William Walker, has an op ed piece in the New York Times entitled Don't Fear El Salvador's Leftists. I agree.
- In the San Francisco Chronicle, Hector Perla, Jr. writes that El Salvador vote should be decided by the people, not the US.
- The election is placed in its broader context within Latin America by the Tico Times in an article titled Leftist parties gaining ground as Costa Rica and El Salvador elections near.
- The AS/COA blog looks at the votes from those living abroad in First Expat votes for Costa Rica and El Salvador.