I recently came across this article on the internet titled How to Behave While Visiting El Salvador. It's short, but has some good basic points. Here are the "do's":
- Wear clean, non-wrinkled and stain-free clothing. Although you are on vacation, Salvadorans are very conscious about their appearance.
- The first time that you meet someone, shake hands and say mucho gusto (nice to meet you)
- Take some time to learn basic Spanish before you travel to El Salvdor. Use the formal usted in your conversation with locals until they use the informal tu first
- Salvadorans believe greetings to be important. Say buenos días (good morning) or buenas tardes (good afternoon/evening) before starting a conversation It is also courteous to say hello to the person sitting next to you on the bus and to make a general greeting when entering a public place like a restaurant.
- Take your time. Don’t expect everyone to rush as if you were in New York.
- Bring mementos and souvenirs from home to give as gifts to Salvadorans you come in contact with
The article also has a list of Don'ts.
Anyone want to add some more tips in the comments?