A new poll from the Public Opinion Institute at the University of Central America in San Salvador (IUDOP) has been released. The poll shows the FMLN with a signficant lead in all categories for the upcoming 2009 elections, including a 16 point lead in the race for president.
Other results of interest from the poll:
- 50% of those polled have little or no confidence in the upcoming elections.
- 62% believe the economic condition of the country worsened in the past year.
- 80% believe the cost of living increased a lot during 2008.
- 62% agree with the statement - "if ARENA wins the next elections, the rich will be richer and the poor will be poorer."
- 63% disagree that an FMLN win will negatively impact relations with the US
- In the race for mayor of San Salvador, Violeta Menjivar of the FMLN leads Norman Quijano of ARENA 49% to 35%
- The most trusted institutions in El Salvador are the Catholic and Evangelical churches