I am not quite sure why, but the US State Department has recently released a slew of press releases about US aid efforts in El Salvador. They include:
- Northern El Salvador Prepares To Invest in Its People
- New Road Brings Commerce, Education to Rural Salvadorans
- Rural Salvadorans Receive Free Medical Care from U.S. Military
- El Salvador Holds National HIV Testing Day
- Extreme Sports Offer Salvadoran Youth Refuge from Violence
In response to this post, I heard from sources at the US Embassy in San Salvador who tell me the State Department is experimenting with sending one of its own journalists out into the field to report on the humanitarian assistance the US provides overseas. I was told that El Salvador was chosen as an early example due to the number and diversity of programs the US government and its different departments and agencies have there.